+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trac Lok Rebuild Information

Status

Cool Trac Lok Rebuild Information

I have worked on few of these trucks now and thought I'd share some information I have learned along the way.

Last weekend I had a guy bring me an 01 RT that was going to get a 4.56 gear swap. As I tore into the rear end I found pieces of metal that had come from the trac lok carrier. The ears on the drivers side thrust washer in the clutch pack had broken as well as the guide/keepers that hold the clutch pack together. As you know these truck came with a Chrysler 9.25 rear end. I began my search of the needed parts and ended up with a heck of a time trying to get them. Basically I was looking for a rebuild kit for the 'posi' unit.

My first thought was to try and see if any of the RT guys I know had a stock carrier to just replace it with, but nobody had one. I then called a local axle shop and they told me they did not stock parts for it. The next step was to go straight to the Chrylser dealerships, I go there and figure out that the parts DO exist (LOL), but they cannot even get them, go figure! They did tell me they could order in an entire carrier..

Next I heard that Randys Ring and Pinion would be the ticket so I contacted them, the sales associate informed me that the parts could not be bought and my only option was to replace the entire carrier! I did not believe this guy, I still cant imagine this thing to be "unserviceable."

My search continues onto the internet, I found a company called completeoffroad.com that had pictures/listings of the parts I need! The only thing was I couldn't get a hold of them at all! Their phone goes straight to voicemail and no replies from emails. I needed to order them that day and have them overnighted. At this point I am feeling there just might not be any options. I found another internet company called drivetrain.com and they had what I needed!! And from talking to the very helpful sales associate on the phone, I learned that chrysler had nothing to do with the Trac Lok carrier at all! Its all made by Dana! A light went off in my head that another one of the truck driveline companies in my town deals exclusively with Dana stuff... I called them up and told them I had a Dana Trac Lok carrier in a Chrysler 9.25 rear end and I needed a rebuild kit for it, they knew exactly what I was talking about and I went down there to pick it up

So for anyone out there running into the same issues I had, here is a picture of what I got.... and lesson to be learned, a chysler trac lok is NOT a chysler part Its DANA!

Status

Wow, thanks for the info B. Sorry I did not have the original carrier for you to use, oh some useful info.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by NightmareR/T View Post
    Wow, thanks for the info B. Sorry I did not have the original carrier for you to use, oh some useful info.
    No worries, I got to learn something new on this one

Chicago"Blacksheep" 2001-

Status

how much was the kit...

2006 Black Charger SRT8- Cam'ed and tons of suspenson/drivetrain mods for Autocross/Road racing
    2008 Caliber SRT4- Daily Driver
    2000 Black CC Dakota R/T & 1999 Black RC Dakota R/T- sold!
    autoX vids
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGBII3NIFc / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcDLPdlsxPg / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKoTy-VEw2k

Blown and Squirted

Status

I think I got stuff to re-do mine for ~80 dollars. Beware that it will only last 30k miles or so before it will be detroyed again.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

+ Reply to Thread